The Pearlstone Retreat Center ignites Jewish passion. Our retreat center, farm, and programs enable and inspire vibrant Jewish life. Engaging Jewish, faith-based, and secular organizations, individuals, and families, Pearlstone Retreat Center serves all ages and backgrounds throughout Baltimore, the Chesapeake region, and beyond.
Pearlstone is a dynamic and multi-faceted 180-acre campus that is home to a retreat center, educational programs, and an organic farm.
The Stewardship Associate is a full-time position that assists in the day-to-day operations focused routine stewardship tasks to maintain a safe, healthy, and beautiful campus. Stewardship Associates are responsible for tending our campus landscaping, green spaces, orchards, meadows, forest, wetlands, native landscaping, UPick blueberries, vineyard, and food forests. Stewardship Associates report to the Director of Stewardship.
They must possess a solid work ethic with strong organizational and time-management skills, excellent attention to detail, good verbal and written communication skills in English, as well as provide excellent customer service and maintain a professional demeanor. Pearlstone is not close to public transportation – a personal vehicle is necessary.
Stewardship Associates may be assigned to any of the following job duties. Managers and supervisors reserve the right to determine which task(s) an associate is assigned to depending on operational needs as well as the individual’s strengths and experience.
• Mowing, trimming, and related landscaping. Routine Animal care and pasture maintenance.
• Planting and maintaining perennial beds and rainwater gardens including those around retreat center, cabins, pools, playgrounds, parking lots, signage and rental homes.
• Other tasks may include weeding, mulching, pruning, tree planting, seeding, propagating, sports-field maintenance, cleanup, basic tree work, brush removal, trail clearing, fire-wood splitting, pressure washing, sharpening, routine equipment maintenance, basic equipment repairs, materials handling, light demolition, light carpentry, trash removal, snow removal.
• General Duties including set-up, clean-up, guest and customer assistance,
• Other tasks/duties as assigned.
Pearlstone Employee Standards:
• Be a team player
• Sustain a positive, enthusiastic, and professional attitude at all times
• Accommodate requests with a smile and “let me see what I can do” attitude
• Adhere to supervisor directives
• Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
• Arrive prior to the scheduled starting time, properly dressed and prepared to work
• Perform all duties in a timely, accurate, honest, and professional manner
Education and Experience:
• High School degree required; previous agricultural, landscaping, land management, experience preferred.
• Stand and operate equipment for long periods of time
• Move and/or lift up to 50 pounds
• Strong customer service and time management skills.
• Detail oriented and able to multi-task.
• Ability to work independently and work well in a team environment.
• Flexibility to accept new responsibilities and direction as necessary.
• Needs to be receptive to and accepting of guidance from others.
• Ability to deal with challenging situations and work in a diverse group of people.
Mental, Physical and Visual Skills:
The skills described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to follow written, verbal, or diagrammatic instructions with several concrete variables. Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, and do calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages. Ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies verbally or in writing. Must be able to use a mobile phone and computer. Must be able to do heavy work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force, performing such activities as climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, pulling, walking, pushing, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions. Have visual requirements of mid-range vision.
This is an exempt position. Works in a normal indoor, outdoor, farm and forest environment in all weather conditions (except for extreme weather). Potential exposure to noise, dust, pollen, exhaust, chemicals, water, fire, plant compounds, animals, insects, vehicles, tractors, and equipment, heat and cold, and construction/maintenance tools and materials.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
$40,000 Annual Salary, strong Associated Benefits package, and Professional Development opportunities
The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore and its Agencies are equal opportunity employers, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran's status, physical or mental disability that does not prohibit the performance of essential job functions (with or without reasonable accommodation) or any other basis protected by federal, or applicable, state or local law.