OVERVIEW Berkshire Botanical Garden is a not-for-profit, membership-supported educational organization encompassing 25 acres of cultivated land in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The Garden’s mission is to fulfill the community’s need for information, education, and inspiration concerning the art and science of gardening and the preservation of our environment.
Berkshire Botanical Garden is seeking a highly motivated educator to join its education staff. The Education Specialist is responsible for developing the youth education curriculum and teaching the education program in subject areas related to gardening, environmental science, and agriculture. They will work primarily with children ages preschool to middle school. They will work closely with all members of the Education team teaching on and off-site youth education programs, assisting with camp and providing occasional support to adult programming.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● As a member of the BBG education staff, actively promote and support the mission of BBG, its members, visitors, and collaborators.
● Teach and develop curriculum for the Farm and Garden after-school program to be delivered off-site at area schools and libraries
● Teach and develop curriculum for the Farm in the Garden Camp
● Identify and meet all student needs to the best of your ability, and serve as a role model for the students and your peers
● Maintain a good relationship with other teachers, organizations, and school administrators
● Work in collaboration with the Education Coordinator and Camp Director to plan and care for the Children’s discovery and production Garden
● Other duties as assigned by your supervisors.
● At least 2 years previous experience working with children is required
● Previous experience in outdoor or experiential education is highly desired
● A proven ability to plan programs and conduct activities.
● A willingness to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
● Experience with gardening, farming, and cooking are preferred
● Must be highly responsible, self-motivated, flexible, and capable of working outside all day.
● Must have an abundance of patience as well as a good sense of humor and a strong work ethic
● Must be able to successfully pass a CORI and SORI background check
● Must be physically able to work outside all day and lift and move up to 50 lbs
● Must have reliable transportation, a clean driving record, and have had a driver’s license for a minimum of three consecutive years
BENEFITS & SALARY
● Work on a devoted team of educators who share a passion for environmental education and a love of plants
● Free enrollment in BBG adult community classes and workshops, plus other opportunities for professional development
● A benefits package including paid time off, sick leave, and health insurance
● Salary of $19-$21/hour, non-exempt, depending on experience
TO APPLY Please submit a cover letter and resume to Bridgette Stone, Director of Education, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Berkshire Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.