Position Overview: The Education Director Position is a director position within Connolly Ranch Education Center based in Napa, California, an organization committed to connecting children and families to nature through farm-based education and encouraging the next generation of environmental stewards.
Connolly Ranch Education Center (CREC) is a 501 (c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to instill children of all ages with a deep respect for the environment; a strong understanding of farming and sustainable agriculture; and a love for the natural world.
The Education Director oversees the development and delivery of high-quality education within CREC’s outdoor classrooms (Farm, Garden and Wild Spaces) in the following areas: early childhood programs, seasonal camps, K-12 outdoor education, field trips, team building retreats and community education.
● A warm leader who exudes confidence and care for others, and who builds enduring relationships. A thought leader and strategic thinker.
● A visionary, someone who will not only lead our programs, but continue to grow, improve and refine our educational models, strategies and program design.
● A person oriented toward the greater good of the organization and the natural environment.
● Someone with a respectful and accessible leadership style, comfortable with situations of ambiguity, and able to easily relate to a wide range of constituencies.
● A highly competent team player who finds enjoyment in the workplace, and who is honest, open and balanced.
● Someone with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
The four main programs that the Education Director oversees include (1) Early Childhood Education Programs (Parent/Child, Earthlings and Explorers Playschools) (2) K-12 Educational Programs (Outdoor After School, school field trips and retreats (3) Seasonal Camps (4) Community Educational Programs.
● Deliver upon the educational goals, objectives, strategies, tactics and measurables in CREC’s 2021 - 2026 Strategic Plan.
● Plan, schedule, staff, and direct all logistics of our four main programs, making sure to align with Napa Valley Unified school calendar along with other community needs (private schools, charter schools, homeschools, etc).
● Seamlessly work alongside educators in-program to provide support and guidance.
● Supervise all program staff including lead, year-round and seasonal educators.
● Responsible for staffing programs appropriately and abiding by the organization's educator-to-child ratios.
● Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating all program staff.
● Conduct annual performance reviews for all educators.
● Attend weekly managers meetings, monthly all staff meetings and facilitate lead educator meetings.
● Plan and organize seasonal staff training and/or workshops.
● Responsible for implementing all American Camp Association (ACA) standards to ensure the organization’s ACA accreditation.
● Oversee the implementation of the Hourglass Model of Learning and Relationships into educational programs and curriculum.
● Oversee the curriculum calendar and work closely with lead educators to ensure programs are following and implementing monthly themes.
● Collaborate closely with the Farm and Facilities team in order to integrate sustainable practices into the program curriculum.
● Ensure that curriculum and weekly lesson plans are documented and uploaded into the central drive.
Communication and Outreach
● Produce weekly and monthly newsletters to share and inform parents and community about CREC’s educational pedagogy and approach.
● Work with the Executive Director and Administrative Manager to market and launch seasonal registrations to schools and the community.
● Build strong parent partnerships through thoughtful communication and support educators in delivering sensitive or challenging information.
● Outreach, cultivate and maintain relationships with schools, outdoor education partners (Farm Based Education Network, Children & Nature Network) and other groups to raise CREC’s profile and develop new partnerships.
● Review and summarize community and parent evaluation feedback, and make appropriate program improvements.
● Work with the Executive Director to prepare and monitor the annual budget and develop forecasts.
● Manage program registration platform and work with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to ensure accurate payments, bank deposits, and AR.
● Other duties as assigned.
● 5+ years of experience in educational program management, staff supervision, nonprofit work environments and mentorship.
● Previous experience with education planning, program scheduling, program evaluation, curriculum development, partnership building, database entry, and public speaking
● Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral.
● Excellent organizational and time management skills.
● Experience managing a budget.
● Demonstrated ability to function well as a team member.
● Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
● Bachelor's degree and progressively responsible work experience in related fields.