The Hawthorne Valley Visiting Students and Summer Camp Program seek a full time Summer Camp Director to live on site and operate its small residential summer camp program for ages 8 to 15 and assist in the operation of our school year program. Our camp programs seek to build reverence for life and community awareness through living, playing and working together on an active farm. While the camp strives to complement the educational approach of Waldorf schools, campers come from all backgrounds. This program is an integral part of the Hawthorne Valley Association. We are located on a 400 acre biodynamic farm in the scenic Berkshire/Taconic foothills of eastern New York.
- Sleep away camp management experience
- A minimum of 3 years of educator experience in the field of residential farm and nature education and/or outdoor education
- Practical farm animal and garden experience and knowledge
- Experience in hiring, supervising and training staff to lead program activities
- Ability to mentor and coach all camp staff
- Strong communication and organizational skills required to carry out the daily and seasonal educational programming needs
- Experience in leading hands-on children activities
- Experience in Waldorf education/biodynamic farming
- A personal passion, energy, and drive to enthusiastically run summer camp and work with children
- Manage all aspects of a six-week sleep away summer camp on the farm for ages 8 to 15
- Provide a nurturing, responsive environment to campers, visiting school children and their teachers and chaperones
- Hire, train, supervise, mentor and coach seasonal staff members
- Summer camp budget oversight
- Perform necessary background work to insure smooth running of programs, including animal care, facilities oversight, outreach to parents and teachers, and coordinating with other Hawthorne Valley Association endeavors.
- Carry out seasonal and place-based residential farm and nature activities
- Create and perform outreach and recruitment strategies to ensure full camp sessions
- Live on campus in program provide year round housing facility
- Be available to address after-hours program needs including weekends
Compensation is based on experience and includes housing, health insurance package, paid vacation, holidays, personal and sick leave. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three work references to Helen@hawthornevalleyfarm.org or fax to (518) 672-7608 or mail to: Hawthorne Valley Farm, Main House, 327 Route 21C, Ghent, NY 12075 Attn: Helen, for more information please call (518) 672-4790 or visit our website at www.hawthornevalleyfarm.org.